Friday, June 7, 2013

See you later K classes

Today marks the last time I'll sit through a lecture at Kalamazoo College until I come back from London for my senior year in September of 2014. My last class, Industrial Organization and Public Policy, ended with a very interesting lecture on the beer industry (although I wish we'd had time to talk about prohibition).

After my last sophomore class, I played in my last sophomore jazz band concert. On the last day of classes in spring quarter, the cafeteria always serves dinner on the quad while the jazz band performs - we call it "Burgers and Blues". Last year, we had to play inside the cafeteria due to weather, but today it was bright and sunny.

The students of Kalamazoo College enjoying some burgers and blues before exam week

It's always fun to see people enjoying your music as a backdrop for other activities. The concert atmosphere is more relaxed when your audience is eating and laughing while you play. There is a distinctly different sound to playing outside, and I think it put us a little off balance compared to our indoor concert a few weeks ago. Nevertheless, I thought the performance went well and was a great way to wrap up my sophomore year.

It's odd to think that the next time I step into a class at K I'll be a senior worried about my SIP and (probably) graduate school. I am getting a little ahead of myself though; before I can call this year over, I still have to take my exams!

No comments: