Saturday, March 8, 2014

DeLaZoo

Continuing with Nerd's Eye View's long tradition of music recommendations (okay, I've only done one), I want to say that Kalamazoo native and West Middle School/Portage Northern High School alumni DeLaZoo is spitting some quality rap. I've known DeLaZoo, who I grew up calling Devin, since around the sixth grade. He sat in front of me playing french horn in Mr. Mumma's band class, we had Spanish class together in 8th grade, and I always saw Devin around the halls in high school. DeLaZoo has made quite a splash on youtube and in the Kalamazoo rap scene. Last week, I gave a listen to some of his music, and it's good. Very good.

I wish I knew more about rap so I could give a better description of DeLaZoo's influences and styles. I can definitely hear some influence from a bit of Kanye West's earlier works. I do listen to a fair amount of rap, I have ears, and I like what DeLaZoo is making. What stands out to me about DeLaZoo's music is his creative lyricism and production on his songs. I have to admit that DeLaZoo's frequent references as a Michigan native native really tug on my heart strings; a song that has a reference to Ambereley or a music video shot in Bronson Park on Candy Cane Lane scores a few brownie points with me.

Where to start with DeLaZoo? Well, here's his first youtube video that got some popularity in the underground rap community. His most recent mixtape is "Elsewhere Better". Two of my favorite tracks are the eponymous Elsewhere Better and the more sentimental Art School. Apparently another mixtape "The Waiting Place" will be released soon.

It's great to see someone from Kalamazoo doing something so unique (did I mention that another PN graduate recently published a book)? I wish Devin the best of luck as he keeps making music!



No comments: