Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Cabins: 2013

A gorgeous view from a hike at Pyramid Point
I'm sure all my readers have been wondering where I disappeared to these past two weeks. Well, the answer for August 11th up until now is that I was being lazy, but from August 3rd - 10th, I was with the Mulders and Riley at some cabins at Platte Lake, about 45 minutes west of Traverse City near Lake Michigan.

The cabins are an annual tradition for my dad's side of the family. We've been going up for 20 years now, and in that time we've only missed two trips (once for a wedding and another time for a birth). While the size of the group varies year to year and many can only stay for a few days, it's usually a large gathering. This year we had about 25 people most days.
Saying hi to Matilda as we start our hike






Yet another gorgeous view










The cabins are always a good chance for me to get in touch with my rustic side through kayaking, hiking, running, and relaxing on the beach. I also got to hang out with my often busy siblings, which included much board game playing. The game list included Le HavreAgricola, the fearsome Eclipse, a few games of Mage WarsRa the Dice Game7 Wonders, and the intriguing Citadels. I also managed to reach the point where I'm competitive with Bryan on a 6 stone handicap in Go. Of course, there were also the Mulder Olympics, where teams of two compete in bocce ball, croquet, and a canoe race. Although I didn't place with either of my teams in bocce ball or croquet, I did make it to the finals in the canoe race with Riley!
Riley and I in front of the gorgeous view

This year's cabins were a relaxing time to reconnect with some wonderful family that I don't get to see very often. It was also a great to have some time to spend with Riley as our departures to Europe draw every closer.

There's a chance I'll have more photos to put up in the coming days, and I'll try to do a post on my 21st birthday soon!

Riley being fabulous at the Sleeping Bear Dunes
Riley and I at the Sleeping Bear Dunes

No comments: